FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
magped’s magnets are the strongest in a north/south (straight up/down) direction on the pedals. When you start to move east/west (sideways) the force of the magped magnets decreases resulting in an easy release of your foot from the pedal. You will get used to being able to quickly release your foot with a simple movement of your foot to the side. You will almost not feel any resistance at all. Knowing that you are not “locked in” will give you confidence and a much more relaxed feeling when you ride.
For the magped SPORT2, ENDURO and ULTRA2 you should use a 2 hole SPD shoe with flat brine like
- Five ten Kestrel, Kestrel BOA, HELLCAT, HELLCAT PRO, Kestrel LACE
- Shimano AM5, AM5 WOMEN, AM9, MT7GTX, MT7, MT5
- SCOTT SPORT TRAIL EVO BOA
- Specialized 2FO DH Clip Mountain, 2FO Roost Clip Mountain
- Scott MTB VERTEC BOA, MTB SHR-ALP BOA, MTB AR BOA WOMEN, SPORT TRAIL EVO, SPORT VOLT CLIP
- Oneal PINNED SPD, SESSION SPD, FLOW SPD
- Cube SHOES GTY STRIX,
- Lake MX 168 ENDURO
- Giro Chamber II, Rumble
- Vaude Downieville All Mountain
- Northwave X-TRAIL PLUS, ENDURO MID, SPIDER PLUS 2, HIMALAYA, X-CELSIUS ARCTIC GTX
- ION RASCAL, RASCAL SELECT BOA, RASCAL AMP, RASCAL 2020
- fi’zi:k GRAVITA VERSOR, GRAVITA TENSOR, TERRA ERGOLACE X2, TERRA CLIMA X2, TERRA ARTICA X2
For the magped ROAD you need a 3-hole road bike shoe
Enough movement to the side or edging up of the foot will release your foot – unlike clipless no single (and often unnatural) movement is required.
Rotational float and change of position are nearly unlimited because, unlike clipless pedals, your foot can rotate freely on the pedal body without affecting the magnetic force.
With the magped pedal you are connected to the bike, like clipless pedals, but you also enjoy the freedom of a flat/platform pedal. Because you are not locked in, magped’s offer you the safety of flat platform pedal and the performance of clipless pedal.
That is a difficult question. You can always test the pedals in our facilities in Austria or North America, however we cannot send out our pedals for test purpose only. Some of our bigger dealers may make pedals available for testing but most dealers will only sell the new product. Overall the return rate of magped pedals by customers who bought them is far less than 1%. WE also offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If they are not for you, return for a full refund.
NO! Neodymium’s magnetic charge will last a lifetime. All magped magnets are coated with a strong metal protective coating and the magnets are embedded in a strong stainless-steel holding pot. The pot protects the magnet against damage while also concentrating the magnetic force in the North/South direction where it’s needed.
YES. Magped offers various magnetic strengths for a rider’s needs. Typically, the rider’s weight, riding ability and personal choice will determine the appropriate magnet size. Magped offers magnets in three sizes ranging from a smaller 100N magnet to the larger strongest 200N. Please see our magnet recommendation sheet for guidance.
Yes, a set of magnets can be removed easily and be exchanges for stronger or weaker ones. Suitable exchange magnets and service and repair parts can be ordered in our webshop.
Sort of. Since magped’s mountain bike pedals (‘MTB’) are based on a flat platform, you can certainly ride with any shoes, but you will have no magnetic assist. To fully benefits from the magped system you’ll want to attach the magped’s steel plates to a pair of compatible two-bolt SPD MTB shoes. These shoes are designed for clips but can easily be converted to a magped system. All parts are included in the magped package for conversion. Note: the magped ROAD pedal requires a special 3-hole road race bike shoes.
Dirt and mud can decrease magnet’s pull force. However, unless it’s a lot of mud or dirt, they’ll retain most of their power. Since the magped’s have no complicate mechanical system the function of the pedal will not be affected negatively by dirt, ice or snow. Like any clipless pedal, you should at least clean off any excess mud or dirt to ensure a good ride.
Not really. You will get used to stepping onto your magped’s correctly very quickly and your foot will adjust to the proper position.
Absolutely YES – we have several hundred clients with different grades of foot disabilities reaching from a full leg prothesis to small restrictions on sideward knee or foot movement after surgery. Magpeds can make a huge difference for this group of people with special needs.
1) Pins must be installed first.
2) Use both Allen wrenches 2.5 mm to raise the magnet (1-2 full turn are normally enough).
3) Use your shoe (with the shoe plate installed) and connect it with the magnet. You should be able to rotate the shoe on the pedal easily.
4) Lower the magnet step by step (180 degrees with the Allen wrenches) until the pins catch the shoe sole.
But make sure, that the magnet still fully connects with the shoe plate – you should hear a solid click noise.
5) The shoe should touch the pins and you should not be able to rotate the shoe easily.
We recommend 2 to 4 long pins in the front and 4 short pins around the magnet.
Try to match the pin position to your sole size and sole profile
You can tell which version you have by the outer diameter of the magnet:
- SPORT2 58mm
- ENDURO1 60mm
- ENDURO2 60mm
- ULTRA2 59mm
- ROAD 52mm (with LONG spindle 59mm)
- GRAVEL 52mm (with LONG spindle 59mm)
you can download the user manual as PDF here:
any other questions? Contact us!